- This event has passed.
British Canoeing Awarding Body Paddlesport Safety & Rescue Course
Sun 4 Jun 09:00 – 17:00
NB we will aim to arrange a Zoom meeting one evening 7-9pm before this course to run through some of the introductory and ‘theoretical’ elements – probably either Wed 24 May or Sat 3 Jun.
The British Canoeing Awarding Body (BCAB) Paddlesport Safety & Rescue course aims to provide paddlers with the key safety and rescue skills required to operate safely and to be able to deal with common problems in a sheltered water environment. The course is designed for all paddlers irrespective of their chosen craft. The objective is to introduce, explore and practise simple strategies and safe skills that can provide you with the tools to solve common paddling issues.
You will spend much of the day with your ‘preferred craft’ (open canoe, kayak, sit-on-top or paddleboard), but will need to spend at least some time with the other craft as we will learn how to deal with them all. You need therefore to be competent paddling your ‘preferred craft’ to enable you to complete the course. Although it is not necessary to hold a British Canoeing Awarding Body Personal Performance Award, you should have ability in at least one craft equivalent to the Paddle Explore Award.
The Paddlesport Safety & Rescue course is a pre-requisite for the British Canoeing Awarding Body Paddlesport Instructor Award.
Minimum 2, maximum 8 candidates. No minimum age (although paddlers must be physically able to undertake the course – and under-18s should contact me to check suitability).
The course fee will be no more than £100, which includes coaching, equipment and certification. If 4 or more candidates attend, I will aim to reduce this fee if I can.
Participants should bring (I can provide * if you do not have these):
- * Your usual / preferred craft and paddle (you may also bring other craft – open canoe, kayak, sit-on-top or paddleboard – & paddles if you have these) – please confirm with me which type of craft you intend to bring, I will provide others.
- * Buoyancy aid, helmet, spray-deck
- Personal paddling clothing suitable for the weather – we will get wet!
- * Personal safety equipment (throwline, knife, towline, tape/sling, karabiner)
- Canoe Wales / British Canoeing Membership card (if you are a member!)
- Lunch / snacks / drinks
- Cash for parking (c.£4) and toilets (20p)
The course will take place on the River Usk at Brecon Promenade or the canal in Brecon (depending on water conditions).
What to Do Now
- Contact me as soon as possible if you have any questions.
- Complete and return to me (by e-mail or post) the attached Booking Form.
- Pay the course deposit of £80:
by buying a ‘ticket’ using the link below
or via BACS, cheque or if your employer or another organisation is paying (details on booking form).
Course Cancellation Policy
If the course is cancelled by me, I will offer a choice between transferring fees to the next available course or receiving a full refund. Refunds will only include fees paid to me for the event, compensation will not be paid for incidental costs or expenses and I recommend that candidates use refundable vendors for accommodation, travel etc. If you cancel your place after booking, you will be liable for the full course fee unless I can recover some or all of the cost of your place from elsewhere (e.g. if you can find another, additional, candidate to take your place).