- This event has passed.
British Canoeing Paddlesport Instructor Award course
Thu 9 Feb 09:00 – Fri 10 Feb 17:00
NB There will also be a Zoom session on Tue 7 Feb, 7-9pm which all participants must attend.
The British Canoeing Paddlesport Instructor qualification is for people aged 14+ whose main focus of work is delivering paddlesport taster/starter sessions within clubs, centres or other organisations. The qualification is not discipline-specific and is suitable for instructors who work with paddlers from any of the competitive and non-competitive paddlesport disciplines.
The Paddlesport Instructor is an entry-level qualification, achieved on a 2-day course, designed for:
- Instructors in clubs;
- Instructors for providers/centres who offer paddlesport activity; and
- Instructors within schools, DofE, Youth Groups, Uniformed Groups, etc.
The qualification will support the instructor with practical skills such as kitting up a group and getting afloat, initial familiarisation activities, games and activities to support learning and how to use mini journeys to support learning, inspire adventure and exploration. This will be enhanced with support on how these sessions can be delivered in a way that is enjoyable, safe and rewarding.
The Paddlesport Instructor qualification is designed for instructors running paddlesport taster/starter sessions within the safety management systems of clubs, centres or other organisations in:
- Very Sheltered Water environments (including canals); and
- Craft deemed suitable for a first-time experience (kayak, open canoe, sit on top, or stand up paddleboard)
The process of completing the qualification aims to help prepare candidates for their first paddlesport instructing role; ‘primed and ready’.
Candidates need to:
- be aged 14 or over;
- be members of Canoe Wales / British Canoeing (etc.);
- register for the Award with Canoe Wales / British Canoeing (etc.) – cost £46.80;
- have attended a British Canoeing Awarding Body Paddlesport Safety & Rescue OR Foundation Safety and Rescue Training (FSRT) course; and
- have personal paddling (equivalent to the Explore Award / former 2*-level) and rescue competence in one type of craft (kayak, open canoe, sit on top, or stand up paddleboard).
This non-residential course will take place in the Brecon area and will run from 9am-5pm each day. Candidates are responsible for arranging their own accommodation if required.
Minimum 4, maximum 6 candidates.
The course fee will be £180, which includes coaching, equipment and certification.
Participants should bring (I can provide * if you do not have these):
- * Your usual / preferred craft and paddle (please confirm with me which type of craft you intend to bring, I will provide others)
- * Buoyancy aid, helmet, spray-deck
- Personal paddling clothing suitable for the weather – we will get wet!
- * Personal safety equipment (throwline, knife, towline, tape/sling, karabiner)
- Confirmation of your registration for the Award and your membership of Canoe Wales / British Canoeing (etc.)
- Lunches / snacks / drinks
- Pen / paper / notebook
- Cash for parking each day (c.£4) and toilets (20p)
What to Do Now
- Contact me as soon as possible if you have any questions.
- Attend Safety & Rescue Training at least 2 weeks before the course (if you haven’t done this already) – or contact me if you need me to run this for you!
- Complete and return to me (by e-mail or post) the attached Booking Form.
- Pay the course fee of £180:
by buying a ‘ticket’ using the link below
or via BACS, cheque or if your employer or another organisation is paying (details on booking form).
- Arrange Full ‘On the Water’ Membership of your ‘Home Nation’ Governing Body, if you don’t already hold this (join Canoe Wales online, if you live in Wales, using the ‘join now’ button at https://www.canoewales.com/).
- Register for the Paddlesport Instructor Award with your ‘Home Nation’ Governing Body (once you’ve joined them, you’ll be able to do this via the online membership portal).
- Let me know if you are able to bring your own craft (I can supply most, but if you have your own kayak, in particular, you might prefer to use it instead of my dodgy ‘club’ ones!).
- If you get a chance before the course, have a go at British Canoeing’s Paddlesport Instructor eLearning modules!
Course Cancellation Policy
If the course is cancelled by me, I will offer a choice between transferring fees to the next available course or receiving a full refund. Refunds will only include fees paid to me for the event, compensation will not be paid for incidental costs or expenses and I recommend that candidates use refundable vendors for accommodation, travel etc. If you cancel your place after booking, you will be liable for the full course fee unless I can recover some or all of the cost of your place from elsewhere (e.g. if you can find another, additional, candidate to take your place).