- This event has passed.
British Canoeing Canoe & Kayak Coach (Sheltered Water) Training
Sat 15 Oct 2022 09:00 – Sun 16 Oct 2022 17:00
The British Canoeing Coach Award is an entry point qualification designed for people whose core function is to coach paddlers looking to develop their skills in the given discipline or environment.
This 2-day Discipline Specific Training course will focus on how to coach technical and tactical skills in Canoe and/or Kayak on Sheltered Water. The course will help you plan and deliver safe, enjoyable, progressive coaching sessions and you’ll explore specifics to help you coach some typical learners relevant to these craft in this environment.
You can find more details about the course at https://www.britishcanoeingawarding.org.uk/level-2-coach-award/.
You need to meet the following prerequisites before attending the course:
- Full ‘on the water’ membership of Canoe Wales / British Canoeing (etc.);
- Completed Core Coach Training (or the following ‘old’ British Canoeing courses, if you feel confident with their content: Level 2 (UKCC) Training OR Assessment; Moderate or Advanced Water Training OR Assessment; Level 3 (UKCC) Core Training OR Assessment;
- A good level of knowledge of canoeing and/or kayaking on sheltered water; and well-practised personal skills (see Personal Skills Checklist).
Minimum 2, maximum 6 candidates.
Venue to be confirmed (somewhere in the Brecon area), probably 1 day on a river and 1 day on a reservoir.
The course fee will be no more than £180, which includes coaching, equipment and certification. If enough candidates attend, I will aim to reduce this fee if I can.
What to Do Now
- Contact me as soon as possible if you have any questions.
- Complete and return to me (by e-mail or post) the attached Booking Form.
- Pay the course deposit of £120:
by buying a ‘ticket’ using the link below
or contact me for other methods, e.g. let me have details if your employer or another organisation is paying
- .Arrange Full ‘On the Water’ Membership of your ‘Home Nation’ Governing Body, if you don’t already hold this (join Canoe Wales online, if you live in Wales, using the ‘join now’ button at https://www.canoewales.com/).
- Let me know if you are able to bring your own craft (I can supply most, but if you have your own kayak, in particular, you might prefer to use it instead of my dodgy ‘club’ ones!).
- At some point before assessment as a Coach, you will need to both register formally for the Coach Award with your Home Nation Association (cost £45) and complete Coach Award eLearning (which you can access directly via this link by paying £20 or by completing the formal Coach Award registration now using your Home Nation’s online membership portal – contact me if you need advice or assistance with this!).
Course Cancellation Policy
If the course is cancelled by me, I will offer a choice between transferring fees to the next available course or receiving a full refund. Refunds will only include fees paid to me for the event, compensation will not be paid for incidental costs or expenses and I recommend that candidates use refundable vendors for accommodation, travel etc. If you cancel your place after booking, you will be liable for the full course fee unless I can recover some or all of the cost of your place from elsewhere (e.g. if you can find another, additional, candidate to take your place).