British Canoeing Core Coach Training
Sat 4 Jun 09:00 – Sun 5 Jun 17:00
Previously advertised as 7-8 Jun, dates changed to suit candidates!
The British Canoeing Coach Award is an entry point qualification designed for people whose core function is to coach paddlers looking to develop their skills in the given discipline or environment.
The Coach Award content is delivered through 2-day Core Coach Training and 2-day Discipline Specific Training (22 disciplines currently available, including Sheltered Water Kayak and/or Canoe; White Water Kayak; White Water Canoe; and Open Water Canoe).
The two-day Core Coach Training course introduces the shared coaching content that is relevant to all coaches at this level, exploring different approaches to coaching, understanding and enabling learning; and some core coaching skills. It is not specific to any one discipline and will make use of a variety of craft to explore different approaches to coaching and introduce some core coaching skills. The course will be a blend of classroom and water-based activity; and you will also be supported a personal coaching development plan to enable you to take your learning into practice after the course.
Subsequent Discipline Specific Training will then focus on how to coach discipline-specific technical and tactical skills, helping coaches to plan and deliver safe, enjoyable, progressive coaching sessions and explore specifics to help coach typical athletes/learners relevant to the discipline.
You can find more details about the course at https://www.britishcanoeingawarding.org.uk/level-2-coach-award/.
You need to meet the following prerequisites before attending the course:
- Full ‘on the water’ membership of Canoe Wales / British Canoeing (etc.); and
- A base level of knowledge about the discipline(s) you wish to coach.
Minimum 4, maximum 12 candidates.
The course fee will be £200 which includes coaching, equipment and certification. I may be able to refund an element of this fee if enough candidates attend
What to Do Now
- Contact me as soon as possible if you have any questions.
- Complete and return to me (by e-mail or post) the attached Booking Form.
- Pay the course fee of £200:
by buying a ‘ticket’ using the link below
or contact me for other methods, e.g. let me have details if your employer or another organisation is paying
- Arrange Full ‘On the Water’ Membership of your ‘Home Nation’ Governing Body, if you don’t already hold this (join Canoe Wales online, if you live in Wales, using the ‘join now’ button at https://www.canoewales.com/).
- Let me know if you are able to bring your own craft (I can supply most, but if you have your own kayak, in particular, you might prefer to use it instead of my dodgy ‘club’ ones!).
- If you’ve not done any coaching before (or would like a quick refresher), the Paddlesport Instructor eLearning resources are worth a look and free to access: https://www.britishcanoeingawarding.org.uk/paddlesport-instructor-elearning/.
- At some point before assessment as a Coach, you will need to both register formally for the Coach Award with your Home Nation Association (cost £45) and complete Coach Award eLearning (which you can access directly via this link by paying £20 or by completing the formal Coach Award registration now using your Home Nation’s online membership portal – contact me if you need advice or assistance with this!).
Course Cancellation Policy
If the course is cancelled by me, I will offer a choice between transferring fees to the next available course or receiving a full refund. Refunds will only include fees paid to me for the event, compensation will not be paid for incidental costs or expenses and I recommend that candidates use refundable vendors for accommodation, travel etc. If you cancel your place after booking, you will be liable for the full course fee unless I can recover some or all of the cost of your place from elsewhere (e.g. if you can find another, additional, candidate to take your place).