- This event has passed.
CANCELLED British Canoeing White Water Award
Sat 12 Dec 2020 09:00 – Sun 13 Dec 2020 17:00
All my courses will be run in accordance with Covid-19 regulations and guidance. While there remain restrictions on indoor gatherings, most courses will include video-conference sessions to cover ‘classroom’ topics. These will usually be a few days before and/or after the main ‘practical’ (outdoor) sessions, arranged to suit participants on each course. The dates shown below are for the ‘practical’ sessions only.
- You must not attend if you are currently experiencing any of the symptoms of Covid-19 or if you have been asked to isolate because you are a contact of a known Covid-19 case or if you are subject to a 14-day isolation period following travel overseas.
- You should arrive in your own vehicle and avoid car-sharing with anyone outside of your [extended] household.
- You will be expected to comply with social distancing and hygiene measures during the course.
- Please bring as much of your own equipment as possible, to avoid unnecessary sharing.
The White Water Award is designed to develop your ability to apply appropriate decision making skills for a safe day out white water paddling in a kayak or OC1. It endorses your skill, judgment and decision making to ensure a successful day on rivers up to grade 2. You will be confident in planning and undertaking journeys on moving water with proficient skills to be in control throughout. Your award should be seen as a sound basis for building the experience and knowledge associated with Progressive White Water Award holders.
The amount of training required for the White Water Award depends on prior experience; but as a guideline, participants should expect to spend two days honing their skills, with either ‘continual assessment’ or a separate half- or one-day assessment.
This 2-day course is intended to provide training tailored to the individual needs of participants and, for those who meet the require standard, an opportunity for assessment for this Award. You should already be an experienced and confident flat-water paddler before attending the course, ideally with some moving or white-water experience.
Minimum 2, maximum 4 candidates [reduced from 6 during Covid-19].
Participants should bring (I can provide * if you do not have these):
- * White-water kayak / OC1 and paddle (please contact me to check whether you craft is suitable!)
- * Buoyancy aid, helmet, spray-deck
- Personal paddling clothing suitable for the weather (minimum wetsuit, preferably dry-suit) – you will most likely get wet!
- * Personal safety equipment (throwline, knife, towline, tape/sling, karabiner)
- Canoe Wales / British Canoeing Membership card (if you are a member!)
- Lunch / snacks / drinks
- Cash for parking (c.£4) and toilets (20p)
- Hand sanitiser, face masks, etc.
The course will be based on an appropriate Grade 2 river in the Brecon area, most likely the upper stretches of the Usk and Wye.
What to Do Now
- Contact me as soon as possible if you have any questions.
- Complete and return to me (by e-mail or post) the attached Booking Form.
- Pay the course fee:
by buying a ‘ticket’ using the link below
or via BACS, cheque or if your employer or another organisation is paying (details on booking form).
- Let me know if you are able to bring your own craft (which might be better than those that I can provide!).
Course Cancellation Policy
If the course is cancelled by me, I will offer a choice between transferring fees to the next available course or receiving a full refund. Refunds will only include fees paid to me for the event, compensation will not be paid for incidental costs or expenses and I recommend that candidates use refundable vendors for accommodation, travel etc. If you cancel your place after booking, you will be liable for the full course fee unless I can recover some or all of the cost of your place from elsewhere (e.g. if you can find another, additional, candidate to take your place).
0 people are attending CANCELLED British Canoeing White Water Award