- This event has passed.
CANCELLED British Canoeing Paddlesport Instructor Award course
Wed 21 Oct 09:00 - Thu 22 Oct 17:00£150
***Cancelled due to Covid Lockdown***
All my courses will be run in accordance with Covid-19 regulations and guidance. While there remain restrictions on indoor gatherings, most courses will include video-conference sessions to cover ‘classroom’ topics. These will usually be a few days before and/or after the main ‘practical’ (outdoor) sessions, arranged to suit participants on each course. The dates shown below are for the ‘practical’ sessions only.
- You must not attend if you are currently experiencing any of the symptoms of Covid-19 or if you have been asked to isolate because you are a contact of a known Covid-19 case or if you are subject to a 14-day isolation period following travel overseas.
- You should arrive in your own vehicle and avoid car-sharing with anyone outside of your [extended] household.
- You will be expected to comply with social distancing and hygiene measures during the course.
- Please bring as much of your own equipment as possible, to avoid unnecessary sharing.
The British Canoeing Paddlesport Instructor qualification is for people aged 14+ whose main focus of work is delivering paddlesport taster/starter sessions within clubs, centres or other organisations. The qualification is not discipline-specific and is suitable for instructors who work with paddlers from any of the competitive and non-competitive paddlesport disciplines.
The Paddlesport Instructor is an entry-level qualification, achieved on a 2-day course, designed for:
- Instructors in clubs;
- Instructors for providers/centres who offer paddlesport activity; and
- Instructors within schools, DofE, Youth Groups, Uniformed Groups, etc.
The qualification will support the instructor with practical skills such as kitting up a group and getting afloat, initial familiarisation activities, games and activities to support learning and how to use mini journeys to support learning, inspire adventure and exploration. This will be enhanced with support on how these sessions can be delivered in a way that is enjoyable, safe and rewarding.
The Paddlesport Instructor qualification is designed for instructors running paddlesport taster/starter sessions within the safety management systems of clubs, centres or other organisations in:
- Very Sheltered Water environments (including canals); and
- Craft deemed suitable for a first-time experience (kayak, open canoe, sit on top, or stand up paddleboard)
The process of completing the qualification aims to help prepare candidates for their first paddlesport instructing role; ‘primed and ready’.
Candidates need to:
- be aged 14 or over;
- be members of Canoe Wales / British Canoeing (etc.);
- register for the Award with Canoe Wales / British Canoeing (etc.) – cost £45;
- have attended a British Canoeing Foundation Safety and Rescue Training (FSRT) course – NB I am running one of these on 23 Sep; and
- have personal paddling (equivalent to the former 2*-level) and rescue competence in one type of craft (kayak, open canoe, sit on top, or stand up paddleboard).
This non-residential course will take place on the River Usk at Brecon Promenade or the canal in Brecon (depending on water conditions). and is likely to run from 9am-5pm each day. Candidates are responsible for arranging their own accommodation if required.
Minimum 4, maximum 4 candidates [reduced from 6 during Covid-19].
The course fee of £150 includes coaching, equipment and certification.
Participants should bring (I can provide * if you do not have these):
- * Your usual / preferred craft and paddle (please confirm with me which type of craft you intend to bring, I will provide others)
- * Buoyancy aid, helmet, spray-deck
- Personal paddling clothing suitable for the weather – we will get wet!
- * Personal safety equipment (throwline, knife, towline, tape/sling, karabiner)
- Confirmation of your registration for the Award with Canoe Wales / British Canoeing (etc.)
- Lunches / snacks / drinks
- Pen / paper / notebook
- Cash for parking each day (c.£4) and toilets (20p)
- Hand sanitiser, face masks, etc.
What to Do Now
- Contact me as soon as possible if you have any questions.
- Attend Foundation Safety & Rescue Training at least 2 weeks before the course (if you haven’t done this already) – e.g. the course I am running on23 Sep!
- Complete and return to me (by e-mail or post) the attached Booking Form.
- Pay the course fee:
by buying a ‘ticket’ using the link below
or via BACS, cheque or if your employer or another organisation is paying (details on booking form).
- Arrange Full ‘On the Water’ Membership of your ‘Home Nation’ Governing Body, if you don’t already hold this (join Canoe Wales online, if you live in Wales, using the ‘join now’ button at https://www.canoewales.com/).
- Register for the Paddlesport Instructor Award with your ‘Home Nation’ Governing Body (once you’ve joined them, you’ll be able to do this via the online membership portal).
- Let me know if you are able to bring your own craft (I can supply most, but if you have your own kayak, in particular, you might prefer to use it instead of my dodgy ‘club’ ones!).
- If you get a chance before the course, have a go at British Canoeing’s Paddlesport Instructor eLearning modules!
Course Cancellation Policy
If the course is cancelled by me, I will offer a choice between transferring fees to the next available course or receiving a full refund. Refunds will only include fees paid to me for the event, compensation will not be paid for incidental costs or expenses and I recommend that candidates use refundable vendors for accommodation, travel etc. If you cancel your place after booking, you will be liable for the full course fee unless I can recover some or all of the cost of your place from elsewhere (e.g. if you can find another, additional, candidate to take your place).