- This event has passed.
British Canoeing Foundation Safety & Rescue Training
Wed 30 Sep 09:00 - 18:00£75
!!! NB Date Changed from 23 Sep to 30 Sep !!!
All my courses will be run in accordance with Covid-19 regulations and guidance. While there remain restrictions on indoor gatherings, most courses will include video-conference sessions to cover ‘classroom’ topics. These will usually be a few days before and/or after the main ‘practical’ (outdoor) sessions, arranged to suit participants on each course. The dates shown below are for the ‘practical’ sessions only.
- You must not attend if you are currently experiencing any of the symptoms of Covid-19 or if you have been asked to isolate because you are a contact of a known Covid-19 case or if you are subject to a 14-day isolation period following travel overseas.
- You should arrive in your own vehicle and avoid car-sharing with anyone outside of your [extended] household.
- You will be expected to comply with social distancing and hygiene measures during the course.
- Please bring as much of your own equipment as possible, to avoid unnecessary sharing.
The FSRT course is intended for all paddlers, coaches and volunteers irrespective of craft or discipline choice, and is available in either bank-based or boat-based option (or a combined course covering both). It provides training on key skills needed to operate safely and deal with common emergencies in a sheltered water environment in any craft. Candidates should be competent paddling in both kayak and canoe to enable them to complete the course, although it is not necessary formally to hold a British Canoeing Personal Performance Award.
The FSRT course is a pre-requisite for the British Canoeing Paddlesport Instructor Award.
Minimum 2, maximum 4 candidates [reduced from 6 during Covid-19]. No minimum age (although paddlers must be physically able to undertake the course!).
Participants should bring (I can provide * if you do not have these):
- * Your usual / preferred craft and paddle (please confirm with me which type of craft you intend to bring, I will provide others)
- * Buoyancy aid, helmet, spray-deck
- Personal paddling clothing suitable for the weather – we will get wet!
- * Personal safety equipment (throwline, knife, towline, tape/sling, karabiner)
- Canoe Wales / British Canoeing Membership card (if you are a member!)
- Lunch / snacks / drinks
- Cash for parking (c.£4) and toilets (20p)
- Hand sanitiser, face masks, etc.
The course will take place on the River Usk at Brecon Promenade or the canal in Brecon (depending on water conditions).
What to Do Now
- Contact me as soon as possible if you have any questions.
- Complete and return to me (by e-mail or post) the attached Booking Form.
- Pay the course fee of £75:
by buying a ‘ticket’ using the link below
or via BACS, cheque or if your employer or another organisation is paying (details on booking form).
Course Cancellation Policy
If the course is cancelled by me, I will offer a choice between transferring fees to the next available course or receiving a full refund. Refunds will only include fees paid to me for the event, compensation will not be paid for incidental costs or expenses and I recommend that candidates use refundable vendors for accommodation, travel etc. If you cancel your place after booking, you will be liable for the full course fee unless I can recover some or all of the cost of your place from elsewhere (e.g. if you can find another, additional, candidate to take your place).