British Canoeing Open Water Canoe Coach Training
Tue 21 Jul 09:00 - Wed 22 Jul 17:00£120 – £180
The British Canoeing Coach Award is an entry point qualification which offers discipline-specific pathways across all disciplines. The Award is designed for people whose core function is to coach paddlers who want to gain/improve paddlesport skills within the discipline chosen. This will include coaching beginners new to the sport, or paddlers looking to develop their skills in the given discipline or environment.
This 2-day Discipline Specific Training course you will focus on how to coach technical and tactical skills in Open Canoes on Moderate Open Water (large areas of open water where paddlers are no more than 500m offshore with max. F4 wind). The course will help you plan and deliver safe, enjoyable, progressive coaching sessions and you’ll explore specifics to help you coach some typical learners relevant to these craft in this environment.
You can find more details about the course at https://www.britishcanoeingawarding.org.uk/level-2-coach-award/.
You need to meet the following prerequisites before attending the course:
- Full ‘on the water’ membership of Canoe Wales / British Canoeing (etc.);
- Hold Canoe Leader (or former 4* Canoe leadership Award); and
- Completed Core Coach Training (or the following ‘old’ British Canoeing courses, if you feel confident with their content: Level 2 (UKCC) Training OR Assessment; Moderate or Advanced Water Training OR Assessment; Level 3 (UKCC) Core Training OR Assessment
Minimum 2, maximum 4 candidates.
Venue to be confirmed (somewhere in the Brecon area).
The course fee will be no more than £180, which includes coaching, equipment and certification. If more than 2 candidates attend, I will aim to reduce this fee if I can.
What to Do Now
- Contact me as soon as possible if you have any questions.
- Complete and return to me (by e-mail or post) the attached Booking Form.
- Pay the course deposit of £120:
by buying a ‘ticket’ using the link below
or via BACS, cheque or if your employer or another organisation is paying (details on booking form).
- Arrange Full ‘On the Water’ Membership of your ‘Home Nation’ Governing Body, if you don’t already hold this (join Canoe Wales online, if you live in Wales, using the ‘join now’ button at https://www.canoewales.com/).
- Let me know if you are able to bring your own craft (or I can provide 16ft Old Town Discoveries).
- If you register yourself formally for the Coach Award (optional at this stage, cost £45) you will also be able to access the Coach Award eLearning which you will need to do at some point before assessment – register online through the NGB’s Membership Portal or phone Canoe Wales HQ if you’re interested in this.
Course Cancellation Policy
If the course is cancelled by me, I will offer a choice between transferring fees to the next available course or receiving a full refund. Refunds will only include fees paid to me for the event, compensation will not be paid for incidental costs or expenses and I recommend that candidates use refundable vendors for accommodation, travel etc. If you cancel your place after booking, you will be liable for the full course fee unless I can recover some or all of the cost of your place from elsewhere (e.g. if you can find another, additional, candidate to take your place).